Ways to Eat More Fruits and Veggies
Back-to-School Lunches – Skip the junk food and add one more fruit or vegetable to your kid’s lunch, like celery with peanut butter or sliced apples. September is Childhood Obesity Month. Pledge Now to fight childhood obesity in your family!
Smoothie Break – Blend your favorite berries, fruits, leafy greens like spinach and kale and even avocado together for a refreshing, powerful punch of nutrients. Get creative and find your favorite smoothie blend.
Meatless Mondays – Try going meatless on Mondays and doubling up on fruits and veggies once a week. Stuffed bell peppers, black bean veggie burgers or a summer squash sauté (recipe below) are healthy alternatives that are deliciously satisfying.
Recipe – Andrea’s Colorful Summer Squash Sauté
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of finely minced garlic and/or 1 tsp finely minced, fresh ginger
- 3-4 summer squashes, thinly sliced – 5-6 cups
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat until shimmering
- Add onions and stir for 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic and sliced squash one cup at a time while stirring
- After 2-3 minutes, add red pepper. Stir until soft and squash is translucent
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Recipe by CommuniCare Nutrition Supervisor Andrea Ransdell
Woodland – www.thewoodlandfarmersmarket.org
Davis – www.davisfarmersmarket.org
West Sacramento – www.facebook.com/WestSacFM
CommuniCare helps your family stay healthy. We offer wellness check-ups for all ages, and health education to help you learn more about what your body needs to keep healthy. See our health care services here and call us today to make your wellness appointment. Locations in Davis, Woodland and West Sacramento.