It can be really hectic to remember what your child needs when you’re preparing to get them back to school. Everyone knows you need pencils, paper, a backpack, some good shoes, etc. But, do you always remember to prepare them to have a healthy back to school? Here is a quick checklist of things you can do to prepare your child to be happy, healthy, and ready to learn on the first day back to school.
- First, find the right healthcare provider for you and your child.
- Their health care provider can give you a complete overview of your child’s health and growth and answer any questions you may have. CommuniCare is always accepting new patients of all ages!
- Make an appointment for a physical.
If your child is going to play sports at school, a sports physical is required to identify the possible risks when participating in sports. Let your provider know about:
- Any injuries and health problems, other exams by a doctor or dentist, any serious illness in your family.
- Vaccines to protect your child from things such as measles or mumps.
- Get all vaccines and booster shots.
- In California, it is required that students have certain vaccines before beginning the school year.
- Refill emergency inhalers, insulin, and any other medications your child might need during an emergency at school.
- Check with your child’s school nurse, they often have some paperwork you need to fill out regarding any necessary medications and can store your child’s medication in their office.
- Get the necessary paperwork from your health provider to notify the school of any food allergies.
- If your child has a severe food allergy, you need to ensure that their teacher, the school nurse, lunchroom staff, and other students are aware.
- Educate your pre-teen girls on how to take feminine products to school and proper feminine hygiene when away from home.
- Try making them a Emergency Menstrual Supply Kit for school.
- Invest in a good lunch box and water bottle for your child so you can teach them how to make their own healthy lunches.
- A good lunch box can last your child a few years! Teaching them about the importance of eating right, and drinking lots of water will ensure they carry those healthy habits all through their educational career.
- Check their backpack for a proper fit and check the weight they will be carrying around.
- Books are heavy! Ensuring that your child’s backpack provides proper support helps their shoulders and back stay fit.
Download this checklist and print it out! While this may seem like a lot of things to do, remember: the best healthcare you can give your child is preventative! Setting them up for a healthy back to school will leave you feeling confident about your child’s wellbeing and they will feel ready to take on the new year.
Here at CommuniCare, we are ready to help you do all of these things! Simply make an appointment with a member of our friendly staff (we speak English and Spanish!) and you can start crossing things off your checklist today.