Inclusive LGBTQ+ care for all stages of life
Through our patient-centered approach to health care, CommuniCare Health Centers strives to provide compassionate care to serve all your needs. Our informed providers with clinical expertise in LGBTQ+ specific topics work together with you, your partners(s), and your chosen family to manage your personalized care plan. Through the combination of specialty services, behavioral health care, individualized care plans, and referrals, CommuniCare takes a holistic and inclusive approach to your care needs.
Affirming Services For Yolo County's LGBTQ+ Community
- Gender-affirming medications (like testosterone, estradiol, spironolactone)
- Letters for medical clearance
- Referrals to specialists, when indicated
- Assistance and advocacy with legal name and gender documents
Elevate Queer Yolo
- FREE Community resource navigation for LGBTQ+ people in Yolo County
- Personalized help with getting medical insurance, finding housing, food, and social support
Sexual Health support
- STI & Birth control methods at Safe Care Clinic
- Confidential charts (separate from general medical charts)
- PrEP & PEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis, post-exposure prophylaxis) prescriptions to reduce risk of potential HIV contraction or transmission
- HIV Prevention & Care, including Ryan White services
The clinicians listed below provide comprehensive gender-affirming medicine. Contact the clinic listed to make an appointment:
- Suzanne Eidson-Ton, MD, MS (she/her), Hansen Family Health Center
- Ian Kim, MD (he/they), Davis Community Clinic
- Betza Kunkel, MD (she/her), Hansen Family Health Center
- Marci Snodgrass, MD (she/her), Davis Community Clinic
- Upal Sarker, MD (he/him), Salud Clinic
- Frances Southwick, D.O. (they/them), Davis Community Clinic
FAQ’s for LGBTQ+ Care
• The PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) pill is taken daily and can reduce the risk of HIV contraction from sex (by 90%+) and shared needles (by 70%+). PrEP is most effective when taken for at least 7 days. It’s prescribed for those who are HIV negative and share needles, and/or have condomless sex with a partner of unknown or positive HIV status.
• The PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) pill is taken within 72 hours of possible HIV exposure, and daily thereafter for 28 days. PEP can reduce the risk of HIV transmission by almost 80%. Prescribed for those who are HIV negative and have had condomless sex with a partner of unknown HIV status, has shared needles, experienced sexual assault, or had a workplace injury.
Both PrEP and PEP are available from CommuniCare’s Safe Care Clinic and through any of our other health care providers. A 60-day supply of PrEP and a 28-day supply of PEP are available without a prescription, and both pills are covered under Medi-Cal. CommuniCare’s Teen Clinic provides free and confidential HIV testing and STI testing.
CommuniCare accepts most health insurance plans and coverage including (but not limited to) Medi-Cal, Partnership Health Plan, Medicare, County Medical Services Program (CMSP), Nivano, and River City Physician’s Group. Our trained insurance specialists can help you with the Medi-Cal application process. If you are already enrolled in a Medi-Cal plan, we’ll assist you with the necessary forms or steps to enroll in our care programs.
You are not required to have health insurance to receive services at CommuniCare. Sliding Fee Discounts are available to all patients who meet family size and income requirements.
Our Client Benefits Advocates can help you apply for health insurance or programs such as Medi-Cal, Path to Health, Connect to Care, County Medical Services Program (CMSP), and CalFresh. Call one of our health centers today and ask to make an appointment with a Client Benefits Advocate.
More Information Needed Here
Locations Offering LGBTQ Services
Meet Our Providers
Ian Kim, MD 🏳️⚧️
Frances Southwick, DO 🏳️⚧️
Upal Sarker, MD 🏳️⚧️
Betza Kunkel, MD 🏳️⚧️