Maternity Care with Heart
At CommuniCare Health Centers, we believe you deserve respectful, informed, individualized and compassionate Perinatal Care. Our midwives and perinatal team are committed to providing equitable and culturally humble care to members of the LGBTQ+ community, women and birthing people of color, people who have immigrated to the US, including those who speak languages other than English, and any other groups/individuals who have been historically and/or currently marginalized in our society
All are welcome here.
About Our Perinatal Team
Our Perinatal Program includes comprehensive services for prenatal and postpartum care. We believe that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes. Our perinatal care is provided by Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) who are advanced practice nurses with specialized training in healthcare during the childbearing year including labor and birth. Our Certified Nurse Midwives also work in collaboration with Physicians, Health Educators, Nutritionists, Social Workers and Breastfeeding Specialists to provide the best and safest care for you and your baby. CNMs also provide sexual and reproductive health care outside of pregnancy.
Your prenatal care is the key to your baby’s healthy start in life! Your professional care team provides services based on your individual needs and preferences to benefit the overall health of you and baby.
Many of our staff and midwives are English and Spanish speakers and we also have translation services for all languages including American Sign Language (ASL). Our team of trained staff monitors your physical, emotional and social well-being throughout the pregnancy, birth and postpartum period. Gentle, nurturing care is provided by people who respect you, your family, and your beliefs.
Our health educators, nutritionists, and International Board of Lactation Consultant (IBCLCs) provide a range of patient education and free classes that are available throughout pregnancy and postpartum.
- Childbirth Preparation
- Car Seat Safety with free car seat included with attendance
- Babywearing instruction with free slings/wraps
- Breastfeeding Class with personal breast pump ordered through insurance
- Infant Care Class
- Individual nutritional and breastfeeding consultations available as well
- Individual appointments with social workers available for resources and support
- Postpartum Class
- Prenatal care
- Postpartum care
- Contraceptive care, including IUD and Nexplanon insertion and removal
- Annual exams/pap tests
- Testing and treatment for STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections)
- Preconception counseling and family planning support
- Multi-lingual staff and services
- High quality midwifery care
- Health education and classes
- Nutritional guidance and diabetes support
- Emotional support and resource connections
- Lactation support
- LGBTQI+ parent inclusive services
Sutter Davis Hospital Birthing Center
Your baby will be born in the Birthing Center at Sutter Davis Hospital*, known throughout the region as a skilled, family-centered facility for maternity and newborn care. The Birthing Center consistently has one of the lowest C-section rates in California.
Free Birthing Center tours are offered virtually at 6:30 pm on the 3rd and 4th Thursdays of the month. Click here to schedule your virtual tour.
*Designated a Baby-Friendly Hospital by the World Health Organization and the United Nations Children’s Fund.
VIDEO: Midwifery Model of Care
VIDEO: Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP)
FAQ’s for Perinatal Care
There is no need to apply for or have insurance before your first appointment. Our trained insurance specialists will help you with the MediCal application process. If you are already enrolled in a MediCal plan, we can help you complete any forms or additional steps necessary to enroll in CommuniCare’s Perinatal program. No one is ever turned away for care based on ability to pay. We can begin your care at any stage of pregnancy.
Often you will only need to see your perinatal care team during your pregnancy; however, there may be some situations where you would continue to see your Primary care Providers for conditions unrelated to pregnancy. Also your midwives will refer you as needed to any specialists, dental care, and behavioral health services. Whatever you may need in your pregnancy or postpartum, we can either provide it directly for you or help arrange it for you.
Yes, both day and evening appointments are available. Our clinics in Davis, Woodland and West Sacramento all offer night clinic hours.
- 24/7 nurse midwifery care
- Private labor and postpartum rooms featuring calm, adjustable lighting, a quiet environment, private shower for you and your labor support team. Some rooms include a birthing tub for water births.
- Partner and family members are welcome to be present during labor and birth
- Volunteer doula services are available
- Breastfeeding support and education
Yes, the Birthing Center currently offers virtual tours. You can view the schedule and book your virtual tour by clicking here.
Our health educators, nutritionists, and International Board-certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) provide comprehensive patient education and free classes that are available throughout pregnancy and postpartum including:
- Childbirth preparation
- Car seat safety (a free car seat is included with attendance)
- Babywearing instruction, with free slings/wraps
- Breastfeeding class, with personal breast pump ordered through insurance
- Infant care class
- Individual nutritional and breastfeeding consultations
- Individual appts with social workers for connection to resources and support
Your CommuniCare perinatal team provides services customized to your individual needs and preferences that benefit the overall health of you and baby, with compassion and respect for all cultures and customs. Many of our providers are English and Spanish speakers, and we can provide translation services for all other languages including American Sign Language (ASL).
The midwives and perinatal team at Communicare and Sutter Davis Hospital respect all forms that families take and invite you to include whomever you consider important to your care to join in your prenatal visits and to be a part of your birth team, (adherent to current visitor policies).
Yes, the midwives and perinatal team serve the LGBTQIA+ birthing community. We respect all forms that families take.